I Am A Cornhusker

Confession: it’s been many, many, many years since I lived in Nebraska, my birth-state (and the birth-state of three generations before me who managed to find their way from Europe to the plains).

But way down deep, my birth-state is still a part of me, mostly because of the heritage that has been passed down by men and women who diligently and faithfully and kindly and honestly built their lives while they worked the land and raised their children.

But today, I claim my birth-state for another reason that however brief, simply takes my breath away.

Watch. Closely. And for today, at least, be a Cornhusker with me.

6 thoughts on “I Am A Cornhusker

1. Don constable April 8, 2013 / 12:13 pm

What a wonderful story. I am a cornhusker today!

• ckirgiss April 8, 2013 / 3:00 pm

Go Big Red! (Technically their colors are scarlet and cream, but who wants to yell “Go Big Scarlet!” It’s wrong in so many ways.)

2. Brandon April 8, 2013 / 2:19 pm

I can watch this 100 times and still get a tear in my eye. Go Big Red, and Go Team Jack.

• ckirgiss April 8, 2013 / 3:01 pm

Yes. 100 times. A thousand times. Forever times. Stuff like this is sometimes too much to handle, but so lovely to behold.

3. Amy April 8, 2013 / 10:41 pm

Love it! Clearly I needed a good cry this evening!

• ckirgiss April 8, 2013 / 11:08 pm

Then you should have watched it in the airport. Retract that. Nobody (least of all you, my sweet friend) could handle the emotional trauma of both those things. BTW: it’s just as moving the tenth time as the first. Fact.